Thursday, October 25, 2012

Fashion Friday - Nothing says the beach like Lilly!


Today was sunny and warm – a perfect fall day here on the East Coast.  While out shopping, I happened upon a small “vintage” boutique near our local university (the very arty VCU) and found a $14 Lilly Pulitzer skirt.   Score!   It’s even in the classic Lilly pink and lime green.   

For me, nothing says “resort” quite like Lilly, especially when it is bright pink and green.   I love her wild patterns, floral prints and happy colors – they’re quite fun and never take themselves too seriously. 

I’m not sure how accurate the story is about how she founded her clothing line, but according to Wiki it goes something like this . . .” In the course of working at the juice stand, Lilly found that squeezing juice made a mess of her clothes. Seeking to camouflage the juice stains, she designed a sleeveless shift made of bright, colorful printed cotton. Lilly found that customers loved her dress, so she produced more in order to sell them at her juice stand. Eventually, she was selling more dresses than juice, and decided to focus on designing and selling what had become known as her "Lillys".

I love old classic Lillys and new patterns too, like this one with dragonflies.   Sometimes I think about what I would design if I had the chance . . . water lilies, flamingos, conch shells, orchids, or crescent moons . . . the list is endless.   
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment