Tuesday, December 18, 2012

The Legend of the Sand Dollar

In one of my previous posts, I wrote about decorating my Christmas tree with sand dollars.  Whenever I would go to the beach in Florida, I would consider myself lucky if I found a sand dollar.

One of the most unusual specimens of marine life; the markings on the shell symbolize the Birth, Crucifixion and Resurrection of Christ. 

On the top side of the shell, in the very center, is a five-pointed star, representing the Star of Bethlehem.  Surrounding the Star is the Easter lily.

On the reverse side of the shell, you will recognize the outline of the Christmas Poinsettia and also the Bell.  When broken, inside the shell are five little birds called the Doves of Peace.  Some say they are the Angels that sang to the Shepherds the First Christmas Morning.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment