Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Bringing the beach home with me - part 2

Well, I came home from the local garden center with a few pots and plants to make my own little beach landscape on my deck.  When I look out my kitchen window, I can pretend I'm at the coast!  

                                                          (see the stripes?)

I chose bright blue pots, called Sapphire Blue, to represent the ocean and placed them next to my colorful Impatiens.  The taller plant is Fountain Grass (pennisetum alopecuroides "Cassian") which looks like the sea oats that grow easily at Virginia Beach.  I can eventually plant it in the garden and it will grow 3 feet tall!  The smaller plant is Dwarf Zebra Grass (Miscanthus s. "Little Zebra").  I liked it because it looked like the varigated plants growing at Virginia Beach along the Boardwalk.  Obviously, both plants like full sun! 

Now if I could just get the smell of the ocean breeze to waft across my deck . . .  

2 comments: